Choosing the right Alberta injury lawyer can be difficult. New injury law firms are continuously entering the Alberta market, advertising many years of experience practicing injury law. But does the lawyer or firm actually have much experience practicing injury law in Alberta? Or does the injury lawyer work from a “satellite office” somewhere in Alberta, where the lawyers travel to meet with you? If you search online for an injury lawyer or live in a bigger city, like Edmonton, you may not know. Today, I want to explain how you can learn how much Alberta experience an injury lawyer has and why it’s important to know.
1. Find out if the injury lawyer is licensed to practice in Alberta and for how long
To find out if the lawyer you are considering is licensed to practice in Alberta, and for how long, go to the Law Society of Alberta’s website. Enter the lawyer’s name in the search box. The lawyer might be a member of the Alberta bar, but the lawyer’s practicing status might read “out of province.” The website will also tell you when the lawyer was enrolled with the Law Society of Alberta. Here is what you will find if you search for me on the Law Society of Alberta website.
2. But the lawyer’s ad or website says Edmonton Injury Lawyer
Here is a typical scenario. Let’s say, for example, you are searching online for an injury lawyer in Edmonton. You type “Edmonton Injury Lawyer” into your browser, and you come up with several search results. You click one, and you are taken to an impressive looking web page that advertises that the firm has one or more Alberta injury lawyers ready to serve you. Just what you want – or is it? Think about it.
- The lawyer or firm may not run a regular business with full time staff out of the physical location it advertises on its website.
- The website may not tell you how long the lawyer or firm has practiced in Edmonton/Alberta. The law firm may be firmly established elsewhere, such as in another province.
- You may not even be meeting or speaking with an actual lawyer during your initial consultation.
- A professionally designed website may advertise a reputation for serving clients, but that reputation may be earned elsewhere than in Edmonton or Alberta.
- The lawyer may not even live in Edmonton or Alberta.
3. Why hiring an Alberta Injury Lawyer is important
An Alberta Injury Lawyer or firm with a proven history of living, working, and practicing in Alberta will
- be able to meet with you personally as needed
- have full-time staff working from the Alberta location
- have a reputation earned in Alberta
- have a better understanding of the Alberta statute and case law that applies to injured victims in Alberta (not all provinces are alike).
4. Find out the answers to these questions before you hire your personal injury lawyer
- How long has the injury lawyer been a member of the Alberta bar?
- How long has the injury lawyer practiced in Alberta?
- How long has the injury law firm practiced in Alberta?
- How long has the injury law firm maintained a physical office in Alberta?
- Can I meet with the injury lawyer handling my case when I need to?
- Does the Alberta injury lawyer’s firm have full time staff working at its Alberta location?
- Does the Alberta injury lawyer’s firm have a team of top-notch medical and technical experts it can draw on to help you obtain the maximum compensation you deserve?
- How long has the injury lawyer lived in Alberta?
You should be able to find the answers to most of those questions on the injury lawyer’s website. For example, here is some of the information you can find out about me on my Joseph A. Nagy Injury Lawyer website.
Joseph A. Nagy’s Personal Commitment to You
I am Joseph A. Nagy, and I am an experienced Edmonton personal injury lawyer serving central and northern Alberta. If you are an injury victim and become my client, I make this commitment to you:
- I will handle your case personally from our initial meeting until the final settlement or trial.
- Your file will not be handled by a team of several lawyers, many of whom you have likely never personally met. You won’t get lost in the shuffle, and you will never feel like just a number.
- As needed, I will partner with top-notch medical and technical experts to help you obtain the maximum compensation you deserve.
- You will not be required to pay any legal fees until I resolve your case.
Call (780) 760-4878 (HURT) or contact me, Joseph A. Nagy, to discuss how I can be your powerful ally, protect you, ease your stress and financial hardship, and fight every step of the way to obtain the best possible compensation for you.
Free consultation. Free parking.
I hope this blog assists you in making a decision to hire an Injury lawyer. For additional assistance in choosing an injury lawyer, you may want to review these free resources I have made available on my website:
- How to Find an Injury Lawyer: 8-Step Guide for Injury Victims
- How to Prepare for a Free Injury Lawyer Consultation: A 7-Step Guide for Injury Victims
- Benefitting from Your Lawyer’s Experience