Questions to Ask Personal Injury Lawyer
Most injury lawyers offer a free consultation if they may be handling your case. As an injury victim, you want to get the best possible value from that free consultation. To help you get started, I have created a list of questions to ask a personal injury lawyer during your free consultation.
I have also created download templates of the questions to ask a personal injury lawyer for your use. You can use the templates to enter answers, delete questions you don’t need, and add your own questions.
- Use the template titled ‘Injury Lawyer Consultation Questions by Joseph A. Nagy” with any lawyer.
- Use the template titled “Injury Lawyer Consultation Questions & Answers by Joseph A. Nagy” if you want to meet with me. To save you some work, this template includes answers to many of the questions from the information freely available on my website.
If you have a free consultation with more than one lawyer, you may want to create a separate copy of the template for each consultation. You can find the download documents at the end of this blog. First, however, make sure you are ready for your free injury lawyer consultation.
Decide if you need help preparing for the free consultation
Your free consultation gives you an opportunity to:
- ask some of the many questions you probably have about the injury lawyer’s expertise, payment policies, success rate, and so on
- benefit from some free legal opinions
- evaluate whether or not you want the injury lawyer to represent you.
If you have been injured, however, you may have a difficult time preparing for the free consultation. You may have medical concerns that need to be your top priority. Now might be a good time to ask a trusted friend, colleague, or close relative to help you prepare for the free consultation and even participate with you. You may need to ask if the lawyer will come to you.
Prepare your questions to ask a personal injury lawyer ahead of time
Don’t go into the free consultation, thinking you will remember all the questions you want answered.
- Write your questions down or have a digital record of them. You can use the questions in this blog to help you.
- Be ready to take notes.
- Don’t use up your free consultation time with questions you can answer yourself. (The personal injury lawyer’s website is probably the best place to find your answers.)
- Be respectful of the lawyer’s time when you are looking for the injury lawyer you want to represent you.
1. Questions to ask the personal injury lawyer about the free consultation
Is the consultation really free?
How long will the consultation last?
2. Questions to ask about the injury lawyer’s qualifications and practice
Are you a member of any law societies or trial lawyer associations? Which ones?
Are you in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta?
Can you provide me with references and testimonials?
Do you only represent plaintiffs like me or do you also represent defendants who caused the accidents and/or insurance companies?
What team resources do you have to fight my case? Do you have medical experts, investigators and other experts to help me prove damages?
What financial resources do you have available to fight my case?
3. Questions to ask about the injury lawyer’s experience
Is injury law the primary focus of your practice?
How long have you practised personal injury law?
How much experience do you have with different insurance companies, adjusters, or their legal counsel?
How many injury law cases have you handled?
I was injured in a__________ accident. Have you dealt with cases involving this type of accident or similar types of accidents? (Be as specific as possible. For instance, if you were injured in a motor vehicle vs. pedestrian accident, ask specifically about the injury lawyer’s experience with motor vehicle vs. pedestrian accidents, not just car accidents.)
I have a__________ injury. Have you dealt with the type of injury I suffered or similar injuries? (Be as specific as possible. For instance, if you have a spinal cord injury, ask specifically about the injury lawyer’s experience with spinal cord injuries, not just back injuries.)
4. Questions to ask about the injury lawyer’s fees
How do you charge your fees?
If you are my lawyer, will you incur any costs to professionally handle my claim?
When are your fees payable?
5. Questions to ask the personal injury lawyer about your claim
Do you think my claim is valid?
Do you have enough information to provide an opinion on my chances of a successful conclusion to my case? If not, what other information do you need?
What are the strengths and weaknesses of my case?
Do you think my case will go to trial or be settled out of court?
What do you think is my best strategy for success?
Can you give me an estimate or range regarding the possible settlement I can expect? If yes, how much? If not, when will you be able to?
In your experience, how much time does a case like mine take to resolve?
6. Questions to ask if you hire the personal injury lawyer
If I hire you, are you the only lawyer that will be working on my case?
If you are the only lawyer working on my case, what is your case load and can you give my case the time it deserves?
If I have to deal with more than one lawyer on your team, who will be in charge? Will the other lawyers be really familiar with my case or will I have to explain it to each of them?
If you are my lawyer, will we sign a contract? Will the contract specify your fee and payment requirements?
If I hire you, who do I contact if I have questions?
When are you available to answer my questions?
What is the best way to contact you?
When decisions need to be made, will you provide me with options and advice on the best course of action?
Will you contact me when there are updates regarding my case or will we meet on a regular schedule?
Be sure and download the questions for your personal use:
- Download “Injury Lawyer Consultation Questions by Joseph A. Nagy” for a free consultation with any lawyer.
- Download “Injury Lawyer Consultation Questions & Answers by Joseph A. Nagy” for a free consultation with me. This version includes answers to many of the questions.
My next blog in this series will be “What information will my injury lawyer need during my free consultation?”
Can you think of other questions to ask during your free injury lawyer consultation? I hope you will share your comments and feedback below!